Monday, February 22, 2010

every journey starts somewhere

Upon returning from winter break I sent in some applications for summer work in Alaska and in Yellowstone. I didn't really think I'd get hired anywhere but figured it'd be worth it to try. After not hearing anything for so long I had given up when I found a large envelope in my mailbox from Yellowstone.
I was offered a position in the kitchen crew-- cooking, cleaning, stocking, etc. It's not my dream, it's not in the woods as a ranger or in a campground or anything. I debated about it. It's not going to make me thousands of dollars or anything like that. But, it's in Yellowstone and I can't kid myself into passing up the opportunity. And, I'll be putting my foot in the door for possible future work in more amazing positions.
Everyday I grow more and more excited about going there. About spending my summer in the place that has always called to me. No trip was more exciting as a kid than going there and each year I've looked forward to when I'll get to go back. Now, I won't just visit for a few days, I'll be there for just over 3 months. I'll call it home. This amazes me. I set a picture of the lower falls as my desktop background and when I'm fed up with Tacoma and school, I look at it and smile.
I know it will probably be a lot of work that's frustrating, rewardless and tiring, but it will be a great experience to hold and when not in the kitchen, I'll be in YNP!
Tonight I filled out my paper work, I'll call them and confirm tomorrow morning and mail it out. I need to get a reference letter and to start looking at how to get there.
Before this I was kind of dreading how fast the semester was moving, now... I can't wait for May.

No comments:

Post a Comment